The Hartford area has become a hot spot for hamburger restaurants. We’ve always had the fast food places, like McDonald’s, Burger King, Wendy’s and the like, but over the past two years there has be an explosion of more upscale places featuring the burger.
We like burgers, and have tried many of the options (though not all … yet). Each offers something a little different, and has their own strengths and weaknesses. In alphabetical order:
- The Burger Joint: West Hartford Center
- The Counter Burger: West Hartford Center
- Five Guys Burgers & Fries: Avon, Farmington, Enfield
- Goldburgers: Newington
- Jake’s Wayback Burgers: Rocky Hill, East Windsor, West Hartford*
- Max Burger: West Hartford Center
- Mooyah Burger: Downtown Hartford, West Hartford*
- Plan B Burger Bar: West Hartford, Glastonbury, Simsbury
- Red Robin Gourmet Burgers: West Hartford, Manchester, Enfield
* Announced, but not open, as of 11/10/2011
Another Note: This is not the complete list of places to get yummy hamburgers, just a list of restaurants with a strong burger theme. And it’s not even complete in this subset. At the time of the writing, a place called Burger Baby was announced for Downtown Hartford (hopefully the website will be up by the time you read this)
For me (Kyle), there is no one place that has the best of everything. If it were possible to mix and match a meal, I would get my burger at Five Guys, onion rings at Counter Burger, and a shake from The Burger Joint. The Five Guys fries are also top notch, and the price is at the lower end (since it’s more like fast food than fine dining), so I tend to gravitate there even though milkshakes are not available.
Amy agrees that there is no one restaurant that hits the magical burger-fries/rings-shake trifecta. She is partial to the Plan B burger, the Five Guys fries, and the Counter Burger shake. She also noted that she felt like she needed to do more research into the matter since we haven’t thoroughly vetted all the options. Mmmm, sounds like delicious work…
So readers, what do you see as the best-of-the-best out there?